Friday, December 4, 2009

On GBR

That's GBR, not PBR. Both are awesome, consist primarily of water and contain the byproducts of very tiny organisms, but only one comes from Australia. And believe it or not, I'd prefer not to go scuba diving in the a big body of PBR. As you may have gathered, Phil and I went scuba diving and snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef today. Pretty Sweeeeeet! We spent about an hour snorkeling on the surface and probably an hour diving in total. I am now totally convinced for the need to get my diver's certification. Monterey Bay, here I come. Now some of you may know, that I not a huge fan open water. I can deal with it, but I don't like it overly much. It might have something to do with me not being a great swimmer.... to prove that, I used one of the floaty noodle things while snorkeling. I am awesome. Just no way to get around it. We did some snorkeling first. Not going to lie to you, I had some issues initially with the breathing because we were over deep open water, but as soon as the reefs appeared below us, I forgot about breathing (and the problems with doing it with my face under water) and just got lost in the beauty. I had no more problems from there on out. The scuba diving was a piece of cake. Took me about three breaths to get adjusted and then I was off. Now Phil has done this all before, so he was swimming and breathing laps around me. We did two dives at two different reef, Saxon Reef was one of them and the other was smaller and just a little to the south. Both sites were awesome and I have included some pictures from the waterproof camera we rented. Have a look...

Hey, it's Scuba Steve!

A pretty awesome coral formation

Amazing fan coral

Our very last photo taken, courtesy of Phil...

No comments:

Post a Comment